Text Box: Before starting the programme, third countries students will be advised to make an online registration on the exchange students database of the Bologna University. Once they have registered, at their arrival, third country students will receive a support for the registration at the immigration police office. They will also receive a guide to the University’s resources and a student card that gives them access to the facilities and an e-mail account, username and password in order to have access to the Internet point.  With  the  student  card they  student  card they 
Text Box: will have free admission to libraries, Internet point and laboratories, as well as special price at university food services (cafeteria and local agreements with restaurants and bars).  A full guide for the exchange students of the Bologna University  is available at Link.
Text Box: Registration 
Text Box: To enter, stay in or transit through the whole of the Schengen area (Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Iceland and Norway), third-country citizens must be in possession of a passport or another travel document recognized as valid for the purposes of crossing the borders by all the Schengen States.
No visa shall be issued on a travel document that has expired. 
The period of validity of a travel document must be greater than that of the visa. The expiry date of the validity must be more than three months from the date of the visa.
It is also necessary to prove to have sufficient financial resources available to guarantee maintenance throughout the planned visit, by showing liquid cash, bank guarantees, insurance policy guarantees or equivalent credit instruments. The proof of financial resources is provided by the Erasmus Mundus scholarship confirmation.
Authorities to issue visas are vested in Ministries of Foreign Affairs and their network of accredited diplomatic and consular officers. The visa is issued by the diplomatic or consular mission with territorial jurisdiction over the place of residence of the third-country applicant. 
The long stay entry visa (more than 90 days) gives access to the state that issues the visa, and the possibility of transit through other Schengen countries to enter that country, in which case it is known as are "National Visa" (NV).
The IMaHS Consortium will assist students during the process of applying for a visa.
Students who have been granted an Erasmus Mundus scholarship will receive:

•	A welcome letter from the European Commission (Directorate-General for Education and Culture, DG EAC)
•	An extended admission letter (Certificate from European Commission + IMaHS acceptance letter)
•	An admission letter from Bologna

Apx. in April pre-selected students will be invited to start preparing visa documents.
Text Box: Visa application forms for Italy are available at the following links:
Text Box: Intra European mobility
IMaHS students are required to study in three different European countries. They apply for the first visa in their country of origin. They apply for the second visa while they are in Europe with the assistance of the IMaHS staff. Information on the visa application for ITALY, GERMANY and AUSTRIA are available here.
Documents validation
After a student is selected to attend IMaHS, she/he is requested to collect a number of documents and to send them to the IMaHS Office. Procedures are different among the institutions, but usually the documents have to be validated by the representative authorities of the hosting European country in the student's country of origin.
Insurance scheme
EU students should ask in their home country for the specific card showing that they are covered by the national health service of their own country, if this is the case. This allows students to register with a local doctor and provides free medical assistance in EU member States. 
An insurance scheme is offered by the European Commission to the Erasmus Mundus third-country EU-funded students through the ACE Europe Insurance Company: it covers health, accidents, death, permanent invalidity and civil responsibility. The insurance cost is covered by the European Commission for the whole duration of the IMaHS course (2 years). The Commission provides pertinent documentation for each EU-funded student to our office in Bologna; you will find your insurance certificate at arrival (a copy of it will be sent by e-mail so that you can use it when applying for a visa).
Detailed description of the scheme and specific forms (such as claim forms) are available at the following website address:
Other non-European students attending the course, or relatives who may come to stay, will have to make their own private health insurance arrangements.
Other private health insurance holders must bring the appropriate documentation for the home country . They also have to bring a declaration from Text Box: At arrival
Text Box: Before Departure
Intra European mobility
Documents validation
Insurance scheme
Text Box: At arrival
Performing bureaucratic matters
Opening of bank account
Finding of accommodation
Language courses
Cultural Integration - Cultural Paths
Text Box: Performing bureaucratic matters
During their very first days in Europe, at their first destination, students have to perform a number of mandatory bureaucratic procedures such as:
get enrolled at University
register at local authorities
request a residence permit
They will receive instructions on how to do this in due time and will be assisted from the IMaHS staff.
Opening of bank account
In order to ease money transfers, we advise you to open a bank account in Bologna. This will allow us to accredit periodically your scholarship instalments to your account and will allow you to provide landlords with credit guarantee, directly pay rents, and easily obtain money from cash machines. Studying at a Italian University for a year, you could be offered a student account which is usually burdened with lower charges. Our administrative officer will suggest which local banks are most helpful to international students, and what documents they require to open an account. Let us know if you are interested in opening a bank account in Bologna, so that we can provide you with more information on this matter.
Finding of accommodation
Not all Institutions are able to offer students accommodation in Residence Halls. If this is not possible, to arrange permanent accommodation for the whole period of their stay (usually one year), students have to visit private rooms and negotiate with landlords personally before signing a contract. Addresses of vacant rooms will be available for consultation at the IMaHS Offices. 
Students will be provided with assistance from the IMaHS office and the Hosting Universities in finding a suitable accommodation.

The Student Accommodation and Information Service (S.A.I.S.) assists students in finding lodging in Bologna: www.sais.ceur.it ; at TUM in Freising-Weihenstephan: stuwohn@studentenwerk.mhn.de. At BOKU Students are asked to arrange the accommodation via ÖAD themselves (the application deadline for the winter semester is August 15th and for the summer semester is January 15th)

After their stay in Bologna, students will follow the mobility programme going to Munich (second semester) and to Vienna (third semester). In Munich they will receive lodging and counselling support  at the TUM Student Service Center/International Affairs and at the Campus Office of the Center of Life Sciences in Freising-Weihenstephan. Within these, housing facilities (student hostels), coaching, consultancy, administrative support and information. At BOKU they will find support and consultancy services at the Centre for International Relations  with regards to housing, coaching, consultancy, administrative support, ect. Students are asked to complete the BOKU application form for exchange students at the end of the 2nd semester and return it to the Centre for International Relations/International BOKU Study Programmes Administration 

Language courses

The policy adopted in the Master Consortium includes the use of the English language as the only language for offering course and examinations. Communications within the Consortium will be in English. Courses of English language are offered within each Consortium partner. As students will start their curriculum at Bologna University, an English course as language learning support will be offered through CILTA (InterFaculty Center for theoretical and applied language  - L. Heilmann) (http://www.cilta.unibo.it/Portale/cla/lingue/) and the Language Centre of the Teaching-Scientific Campuses in Romagna (CLIRO). Courses are specifically addressed to foreign and Italian students and teachers and specially attention has been devoted to exchange students. These specific courses will be available at the Language Centre of the University at the beginning of the academic years 2007/08 and 2009/10. 
The students of the Master course will also have the opportunity to follow self-study language programmes with the assistance of a tutor, on their own and free of charge. This training paths are offered by the ALTAIR Language Service. 
Munich and Vienna, during semester 2 and 3, also offer the possibility to improve the English language through specific courses.  Moreover, the three Universities are engaged to offer, free of tuition fees, Italian and German course for international students.
Within this project, the native language courses will serve to provide a better integration of the students, especially third countries ones, into the cultural life of the hosting Country. Together with the Cultural Paths  and the support of the international tutor, the language courses will be a tool for the integration of the students. 
Language Centre of TUM: 
Language Centre of BOKU:

Cultural Integration - Cultural Paths

Cultural events will be organized in the three cities, and in particular in the welcoming city (Bologna) to integrate the third countries students into the academic life and into the “hosting culture”. At this regard the International Relations office offers a service to foreigners students called Cultural Paths, which consists in the organizations of several cultural journeys in Bologna and in Emilia-Romagna (visiting the city monuments of Bologna but also visiting the other historical cities of the Region such as Ravenna, Ferrara, Rimini etc) in order to give the students the cultural dimension of the place where they live. A number of cultural and leisure activities are also organized by the University for the foreigners students, such as theatre, dance, film, music, and fine arts activities. The students will have the opportunity to access to sport facilities and courses with special conditions. In Semesters 2 and 3 similar offers are dedicated in Munich and Vienna

Disabled Students 

The three Universities have also set up a reception service to meet the needs of disabled and dyslexic students. The main activities of this service are: 
Cooperation with the faculties to identify the appropriate practical, logistical and relationship conditions for learning; 
Personalized contacts with disabled students to monitor their study progress and collect requests, comments and suggestions;  
Contacts with local public and private institutions that may contribute to the University’s service for disabled students;  
Guidance service at the end of the course to help students integrate into society and the world of work. 

In case of special needs during a course the following services are available to students: 
Support service for dyslexic students; 
Student tutor, university student within the second year beyond the official time limit who carries out various support activities; 
Specialised tutor with specific technical competences.  For example this category of tutors includes people who teach blind students to use special IT instruments or people who communicate with deaf students who use Italian Sign Language 

Erasmus Mundus Alumni Association

An Erasmus Mundus Alumni Association (EMA) is already up and running offering a series of services to Erasmus Mundus students and alumni. Students are strongly encouraged to register for EMA upon their arrival in Europe via the EMA website .

Printable version

Text Box: Visa application

Webdesigner and webmaster Dr. Francesco Spinelli: francesco.spinelli3@unibo.it

ALMA MATER STUDIORUM - Università di Bologna
Via Zamboni, 33 - 40126 Bologna - Partita IVA: 01131710376



Text Box: Before Departure

Students Guide

Visa English


 Visa Spanish


Visa Russian